VVCC depends upon more than 300 volunteers to provide supportive services to over 2,000 adults (neighbors) in need. The driver is the heart of the transportation program and is obligated to provide trips as assigned. The service provided by the driver helps older adults and people with disabilities live independent, quality lives by providing them access to necessary healthcare and community services. Stipend drivers may operate accessible vehicles owned by VVCC and may use their own private vehicle when the privately owned vehicle meets VVCC standards. The driver reports to, assists, and works cooperatively with the Dispatch/Call Center team in providing safe and efficient transportation to customers without other alternatives.
1. Prioritizes the safety of our neighbors, themselves, and the public by providing safe door-to-door and door-through-door passenger transportation service.
2. Provides trips for passengers according to the schedule and/or instructions given by the Dispatch/Call Center. Compliance with this Key Responsibility may require working overtime hours, or early morning or late in evening.
3. Maintains communication throughout the day with the Dispatch/Call Center, responding to calls and reports issues and problems as they occur.
4. Notifies the Dispatch/Call Center, without delay, of any variations to the schedule and any additional destinations requested by or for the passenger while fulfilling the original schedule.
5. Assists passengers between the vehicle and the door of the origin/destination location, and through the door as needed, using appropriate passenger assistance techniques.
6. Assists passengers with wheelchairs, mobility devices, bags, packages, and other items.
7. Advises the Dispatch/Call Center immediately of any issues or problems, especially situational reports regarding delayed passenger pick-ups or drop offs, or passenger trip cancellations or other concerns. Contacts passengers impacted by delays or other issues of trip timing and arranges schedule modifications to support trip fulfillment to the highest level possible.
8. Accommodate service animals according to training and reports any difficulty with service animals immediately to the Dispatch/Call Center.
9. Performs daily pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections.
10. Wears appropriate and professional attire and maintains appropriate hygiene while at work.
11. Maintains accurate trip information records (trip origin/destination, miles, and hours).
12. Attends required training, debriefing sessions, and staff meetings.
13. Provides Dispatch/Call Center with advance notice of scheduled absences.
14. Maintains VVCC owned vehicle or private vehicle for VVCC trips, when providing demand response services for VVCC in clean and safe condition. Assists with upkeep and cleaning when operating VVCC mobility vans.
15. Monitors vehicle fuel level and purchases fuel at an appropriate and efficient time to avoid delays in trip schedule.
16. Refrains from alcohol consumption for at least 8 hours prior to driving for VVCC.
17. Notifies the Dispatch/Call Center Coordinator when taking medication (over the counter or prescription) that may influence driving ability.
18. Always maintains confidentiality regarding passengers.
19. Always follows approved operational procedures.
20. Reports all vehicle and passenger incidents/accidents no matter how slight, to the Dispatch/Call Center Coordinator without delay.
21. Maintains a personal and professional driving record with no more than two traffic violations or preventable collisions within a three-year period.
22. Provides superior quality customer service to ensure that each passenger who requests VVCC service is treated with dignity, respect, and patience.
23. Adheres to VVCC personnel and other policies.
24. Adheres to all other policies, directives, and protocols.
25. Performs other duties and activities as assigned.
26. VVCC stipend drivers are provided $40 per day stipend for driving in the Verde Valley area and $60 per day for providing trips outside the Verde Valley (Flagstaff, Prescott, Phoenix metro). VVCC provides mileage reimbursement for using a private vehicle for VVCC service.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Experience operating a passenger vehicle safely.
2. A High School Diploma or higher.
3. Valid Driver’s License and an excellent driving record as recorded by the Motor Vehicle Department and maintains vehicle insurance coverage at least at Arizona minimum required level of coverage.
4. Ability to maintain a driving record that meets or exceeds VVCC driver standards.
5. Ability to operate and maintain a private vehicle in clean and safe operating condition
6. Ability to pass a National Criminal Record Check and Social Security Identification Check.
7. Ability to pass drug and alcohol screening if required.
8. Ability to fully comply with Federal Transit Administration Drug and Alcohol Testing program, including pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion, and post-accident testing.
9. Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with the ability to exercise good judgment, courtesy, and tact in public contact and problem-solving situations.
10. Ability to work as a team member with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
11. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
12. Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and to make decisions with minimal supervision.
13. Possess effective problem-solving skills.
14. Ability to respect and accept supervision.
15. Ability to safely lift and carry 30 lbs.
• Paid Driver: Minimum 3 days per week.
• Reports to Fleet and Dispatch specialist
Note: This position is effective based on available funding and is subject to periodic change.
Verde Valley Caregivers Coalition will make reasonable accommodations for performance of the essential functions of the job for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for Verde Valley Caregivers Coalition.
Verde Valley Caregivers Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and employs without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, handicap or status as a veteran of military service.